Administrative assistant salary in Kenya. How much is an administrative assistant paid in Kenya? It is one question that has driven you here.
This article seeks to give more knowledge of how much an administrative assistant earns, as well as the job description.
First, let’s catch a glimpse of who an administrative assistant is.
Job Description: Administrative Assistant
An administrative assistant has a mandate of ensuring every aspect of an office runs smoothly.
This includes providing administrative support to ensure efficient operation of the office. Supports managers and employees through a variety of tasks related to organization and communication.
Typically, an administrative assistant is the first person a client or visitor contacts before meeting other employees at the senior level.
An administrative assistant usually reports to the head of the department he/she is in.
Administrative Assistant Salary in Kenya Breakdown
Finally, the juicy part. A typical administrative assistant in Kenya earns between KES 30,00- KES70,000 inclusive of all allowances.
The figure varies majorly depending on the size and profitability of the firm, work experience and the level of education the administrative assistant has.
In some cases, though rare, an office assistant earns well over KES120,000. The ball is yours to roll.
One major factor that determines the salary is the level of experience.
0-2 years experience: 30,000- 42,000
3- 5 years experience: 45,000- 55,000
5- 10 years experience: 55,000- 65,000
10 years and above experience: 65,000 and above
High School Certificate level: 25,000- 30,000
Diploma certificate level: 35,000- 46,000
Degree Certificate Level: 55,000 and above
Men tend to earn more than women, with a difference of 9% in their monthly paycheck. However, we strongly oppose salaries determined concerning gender.
Administrative assistants in Kenya usually enjoy a 7% salary increment after every 36 months, which translates to slightly below 2% per year.
The best thing about the administrative assistant job is security. This is so because most jobs are offered permanently. Also, you can work on different sectors meaning the job market is broad.
Sadly, statistics show that the employment of administrative assistants is set to decline by 8% from 2020 to 2030. This is because technology is expected to help other staff to things without the involvement of an administrative assistant.
The good news is the employment of medical administrative assistants is projected to grow by 16%
from 2020 to 2030. The employment of medical administrative assistants will depend on the growth of the healthcare industry. The employment of executive administrative assistants is projected to decline by 20% from 2020 to 2030.
Qualifications of an Administrative Assistant
- experience in the office setup or a related area
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- High school diploma or equivalent; college degree preferred
- Knowledge of office management systems and procedures
- Proficient in computer
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Answer telephone calls
- Preparation of regularly scheduled reports
- Book conference calls, rooms, taxis, couriers, hotels etc.
- Book travel arrangements
- Carry out administrative duties such as filing, typing, copying, binding, scanning etc.
- Coordinate office procedures
- Cover the reception desk
- Develop and update administrative systems to make them more efficient
- Generate reports
- Greet and assist visitors to the office
- Maintain computer and manual filing systems
- Maintain contact lists
- Manage staff appointments
- Organize and schedule meetings and appointments
- Organize travel arrangements for senior managers
- Oversee and supervise the work of junior staff
- Photocopy and print out documents on behalf of other colleagues
- Produce and distribute correspondence memos, letters, faxes and forms
- Provide information by answering questions and requests
- Receive, sort and distribute the mail
- Resolve administrative problems
- Submit and reconcile expense reports
- Take accurate minutes of meetings
Critical Skills an Administrative Assistant Should Possess
- Analysis skills
- Attention to Detail
- Discretion and Judgment
- Inventory Control
- Microsoft Office Skills
- Office Administration Procedures
- Problem Solving
- Supply Management
- Telephone Skills
- Typing Skills
- Verbal Communication
- Legal offices
- Medical offices
- Government agencies and parastatals
- Private firms and enterprises
- Education institutions
Tips to Get a Job
- Achieve academic excellence
- Be willing to start as an intern
- Be hardworking and motivated once you are offered a chance